Press Release Archive
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., Sept. 2, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The SFN Group Employee Confidence Index fell for the third consecutive month, declining 6.8 points to 41.0 in August. The Index, which measures workers' confidence in their personal employment situation and optimism in the economic environment, revealed waning confidence among workers, specifically in regard to the strength of the economy and the future of their current employers.
"Worker confidence continued to decrease this month, reaching its lowest point since February of 2009, registering at 41.0 in August," says Roy Krause, president and CEO of SFN Group, Inc. "There is little doubt that recent plunges in the stock market and slow employment growth in the first half of 2011 have fueled fears of another possible recession in the minds of U.S. workers. However, several signs counteract this fear based on historical trends. The temporary help sector, which is typically a leading indicator coming in and out of a recession, is still growing. And, the unemployment rate for professional talent remains below 4.5 percent. In fact, our clients continue to look for skilled technology professionals, accountants and engineers. Although a double-dip recession cannot be completely ruled out, I believe that this recovery will be cautious and slow-moving, and may hit several soft patches along the way."
The online survey was conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of the SFN Group. It surveyed 1,179 employed U.S. adults, aged 18 and over between August 10 and 12, 2011.
A Look Inside the Report:
Confidence in Overall Situation:
The SFN Group Employee Confidence Index fell 6.8 points to 41.0 in August. The Index, which measures workers' confidence in their personal employment situation and optimism in the economic environment, revealed waning confidence among workers, specifically in regard to the strength of the economy and the future of their current employers.
Confidence in Macroeconomic Environment:
- Sixty-three percent of U.S. workers believe the economy has weakened, up from the 42 percent of workers who expressed a lack of confidence in July. This is an increase of 21 percentage points month-over-month.
- More than two-thirds (67 percent) of workers believe there are fewer jobs available, increasing six percentage points from July.
Confidence in Personal Employment Situation:
- In August, fewer workers are confident in the future of their current employer. Specifically, 54 percent of workers expressed confidence in August in comparison to 59 percent the prior month.
- Thirty-five percent of workers are confident in their ability to find a new job in contrast to 38 percent of workers who expressed confidence in July.
- Two-thirds (66 percent) of workers believe that it is unlikely they will lose their jobs in the next 12 months. This is a decrease of three percentage points from the previous month.
- Thirty-five percent of workers are likely to look for a new job in the next 12 months, an increase of two percentage points from July.
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of SFN Group from August 10-12, 2011 among 1,179 employed adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please click here.
About SFN Group, Inc.
SFN Group is a strategic workforce solutions company that provides professional services and general staffing to help businesses more effectively source, deploy and manage people and the work they do. As an industry pioneer, SFN Group has sourced, screened and placed millions of individuals in temporary, temp-to-hire and full-time jobs for more than 65 years.
With approximately 560 locations in the United States and Canada, SFN delivers strategic workforce solutions that improve business performance. From outsourcing to technology to professional services to staffing, SFN delivers the best combination of people, performance, and service to improve the way work gets done. It provides its services to approximately 8,000 customers, from Fortune 500 companies to a wide range of small and mid-size organizations. The company employs more than 170,000 people annually through its network and is one of North America's largest employers. SFN provides its solutions through a family of specialized businesses: Technisource, Tatum, The Mergis Group, Todays Office Professionals, SourceRight Solutions and Spherion Staffing Services.
To learn more, visit www.sfngroup.com.
SOURCE SFN Group, Inc.