Press Release Archive
NEW YORK, Dec. 2, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The Randstad Employee Confidence Index increased by 2.4 points to 48.0 in November. The Index, which measures workers' confidence in their personal employment situation and optimism in the economic environment, shows that more workers are optimistic about the economy and job market. In addition, more respondents indicated an increase in confidence in their ability to find new employment.
"Our Employee Confidence Index is nearing the end of 2011 on a relatively high note, despite an unsteady and inconsistent economic year," says Joanie Ruge, senior vice president and chief employment analyst of Randstad Holding US. "As we head into the upcoming holiday season, many retailers are eyeing the monthly employment figures to help predict consumer sentiment—and ultimately consumer spending activity. While job creation still remains steady in the private sector, we have seen more employers and candidates open to part-time work. In fact, retailers alone are hiring about 500,000 seasonal employees this year, many of which are part-time according to the National Retail Federation. While many of these workers would prefer full-time positions, one of the benefits of temporary or part-time employment is the ability to bridge into a permanent position down the road. All in all, we believe that we will continue to see moderate but steady economic growth in the fourth quarter and that trend should continue as we enter 2012."
The online survey was conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of Randstad. It surveyed 1,280 employed U.S. adults, aged 18 and over between November 14 and 16, 2011.
A Look Inside the Report:
Confidence in Overall Situation:
The Randstad Employee Confidence Index increased by 2.4 points to 48.0 in November. The Index, which measures workers' confidence in their personal employment situation and optimism in the economic environment, shows that more workers are optimistic about the economy and job market. In addition, more respondents indicated an increase in confidence in their ability to find new employment.
Confidence in Macroeconomic Environment:
- Forty-five percent of U.S. workers believe the economy is getting weaker. This is a decrease of six percentage points from October's findings.
- Fifty-nine percent of employed adults believe that fewer jobs are available compared to 63 percent in the previous month's report.
Confidence in Personal Employment Situation:
- More workers indicated that they were confident in their ability to find a new job in the next 12 months. Specifically, 40 percent in November versus 36 percent in October.
- The number of U.S. workers indicating that they are confident in the future of their employer remained virtually unchanged in November at 61 percent. This indicator has remained flat since September's report.
- More workers believe that they are unlikely to lose their jobs. Specifically, 71 percent reported this compared to 68 percent in October.
- Thirty-three percent of workers are likely to look for a new job in the next 12 months. This is a one percentage point drop from the previous month.
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of Randstad from November 14-16, 2011 among 1,280 employed adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please click here.
Randstad is an $18.8 billion global provider of HR services and the second largest staffing organization in the world. From temporary staffing to permanent placement to inhouse, professionals, search & selection, and HR Solutions, Randstad holds top positions around the world and puts approximately 27,500 corporate employees to work from its nearly 4,200 branches and inhouse locations in 43 countries. Founded in 1960 and headquartered in Diemen, the Netherlands, Randstad Holding nv is listed on the NYSE Euronext Amsterdam (RAND.AS). Learn more at www.randstad.com.